Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Working out while being a mom - part 3 - exercise at home!

I woke up this morning to a severely wheezing child. We barely slept last night, and we all know how frustrating it is to have a sick child at home. I mean yes it does get hard when you have a naughty baby who climbs and jumps and opens and shuts and touches and does all kinds of mischief. But when that baby turns into a moaning, sick child it seems like the whole house is struck by a great grief. I mean I really find it odd to find the whole newspaper together when I pick it  up at about 8.30 in the mornings. Usually Chittu is the one to pick up the paper, then open it to spot and identify all the cars he knows and then fling it across as if there was nothingelse in it worthy of interest. The paper also gets scribbled and sketch penned and sometime also torn and tattered if the mood is really good!
 
With barely any sleep last night I knew that body pump would be out of the question. Its the third class I missed! But not exercising is not an option. My latest find is Ms.Jillian Micheals and I did her Banish Fat boost Metabolism work out today. To say the least I loved the routine and I was a sweaty mess by the time I cooled down! I have only recently discovered the joy of getting a good workout in at home. And my runs and trips to the gym have decresed!
 
There have been so many instances - I woke up late, felt too tired in the morning, was busy over the weekend to get to the gym, had a sick baby etc to have made up a good enough reason not to exercise. But I don't want to not exercise. Exercise gives me a good adrenalin rush, keeps my eating in check, keeps me in the weight loss mind set and simply has wayyyyy too many benefits to offer.
 
Infact of late, being a working mom has been eating up my conscience and I feel I dont give my son enough time. So going to the gym for a 40 minute cardio session ( which takes 60-70 minutes transit time included) is a less attractive proposition than working out at home.
 
I am guilty of downloading those fabulous workouts free of cost from the web. But I will buy them and give the maker her due - and thats a promise. Jillian Micheals' workouts - the 30 day shred, yoga meltdown as well the banish fat boost metabolism are all fantastic. It is a great way to exercise for those who need the option of being able to bring exercise to the doorstep without the use of any expensive machinery or accessories. And thats the reason I decided to write this down - to get fit you dont need to have fancy shoes, or a home treadmill or a gym membership or lots of time. All you need is commitment - enough that drives you to do that run or that burpee even though you struggle to do it and even though the scale shows you no love at all.( I think I have been stuck at my weight for about 6 months now.)
 
It may sound a little selfish to others the way you seem to squish in your workout. Heck it may even hurt you to actually cut down on that baby time/ office time/ family time. But just a little for yourself is totally worth it. Trust me :)
 
Have you exercised today?
 
 
 

9 comments:

  1. hey welcome to the club of home exercising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha :) yes I guess I had to do it!!! It makes me feel as if I have to put in zero effort into exercise!

      Delete
    2. yes but of course, the results are slower than what you would get with regular gymming. But something's better than nothing na?

      Delete
  2. Yup!Exercising at home is a really good option !I agree-and I am also so in love with Jillian Michael's just like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea man.. i just discovered it and man I am lovin it!

      Delete
  3. You know, I have lost 30 lbs exercising at home using Jillian Michaels videos. I used 30 DS, Banish fat, No More trouble Zones (my fav).

    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh is it? I am yet to try the no more trouble zones.. will do it sometime soon!

      Delete
  4. I hope Rudu gets better. Home exercise is fun..

    ReplyDelete
  5. how did you find jillian's yoga melt down?I understand its more of power yoga.Can you write a post on that?I have her 30DS and banish fat boost metabolism

    ReplyDelete

Yes. I Know you are thinking something. Please say it! Every word keeps me going!